Tuesday, June 4, 2013

May Happenings






Just thought I would catch you all up on the ins and outs of what we have been up to.  The month of May was pretty busy for us.  Doug spent a week in Wichita for work and so David and I went down to Shelton to spend time with Diana.  And anyone that knows me, knows there is no way I could spend 5 nights alone in a house.  I would go crazy!  So it was perfect that it ended up working out that I could go down there the whole time.  

For Mother's Day, we celebrated on Saturday instead.  With the weather so nice out all I wanted to do was hike.  The hike I had planned was a pretty short one, since we didn't have a hiking backpack to carry David in.  But it ended up being too far away and it just didn't work out.  We did end up coming across Wallace Falls and decided to check it out.  The hike itself was about 4 miles round trip.  It was beautiful!!  The only problem was we started the hike later in the day and so we had to hike it rather quickly instead of taking our time.  It was worth it though.  And David did awesome!  He rode on Doug's shoulders most of the way, and I carried him a bit as well, although he would have much preferred to walk it all himself.  After this adventure we decided to invest in a backpack.  And we are so glad we did since we did the same hike just a week later with the Anderson's.  After our hike we came home, we fed David and put him to bed.  Then Doug picked up some Mexican food, and we just enjoyed the rest of the night together.  The next morning Doug made a big yummy breakfast.  We went to church later in the day and had a relaxing night afterward.  It was such a nice weekend!

The Anderson's came up the following Saturday.  We went and hiked Wallace Falls again.  Can I say what a difference a backpack makes!  It did take some coaxing on the way up for David to stay in it without screaming, but on the way back he was so comfy that he fell asleep.  Again the views were breathtaking!  We had thought it would be fun to pack lunches to eat at the falls, and it was, but we weren't the only ones with that idea.  There were a ton of people there.  I thought the rain might keep people away, but not here in Washington!  It was pretty much just drizzle, with one short downpour while we ate (luckily there was  cover).  So it turned out to be not so bad.  After the hike we all came back to our house where Celia and Devan joined us for a BBQ and games.  It was a fun Saturday!

Memorial Day weekend we again saw the Andersons!  I am sure they are pretty much sick of us at this point.  We went down on Friday night.  Doug was wanting to work on the truck and so Saturday Ben helped him with that.  Sunday we went to church and had a nice dinner of ribs.  I haven't eaten a lot of ribs in my life maybe once or twice, and I didn't realize how good they can be. (If you can't tell, all of our family get-togethers revolves around food)  With David's B-day on the following Tuesday we decided to celebrate with the family and so I made some cupcakes for David.  He sure enjoyed eating them, but when we started singing Happy Birthday he started crying.  He did the same thing when Doug and I sang to him on his actual day.  Sort of funny.  The boy hates the song.  On Monday we drove up to Port Townsend and went to Fort Warden.  We had a picnic there and played on the beach.  They also have tunnels where they had kept firearms that we were able to walk through.  Although I thought those were sort of creepy.  Port Townsend is a cute little town.  The weather wasn't the best so we didn't get to walk around, but I sure would love to go back and explore some more.  We ended up driving down to Kingston, and taking the ferry back home.  Celia and Devan also took the ferry.  We had about an hour wait and so we got some crepes at a restaurant nearby and had our own tailgate party while we waited.  I say it was a pretty nice way to end the weekend!  The only downfall was I didn't have my camera with me and so my pictures were limited!




  


No comments:

Post a Comment